Monday, May 28, 2012

"These are a few of my favorite blogs..."

A couple years ago I took a Methods of Ethnic Dance Choreography class at BYU. I didn't get too much out of it, but one of the things I've retained, and have used quite frequently, is the phrase "fill your bucket".  The teacher said it referring to the research necessary to do good choreography; good art does not usually materialize out of thin air, but starts with inspiration. And to gain that inspiration we needed to fill up our choreography idea bucket to the brim with dance performances, YouTube videos, etc.

I also have a metaphorical cooking bucket (as cooking is an art), and I do my best to keep it filled to the brim with ideas and techniques I learn as I research. So here are a few of my favorite cooking blogs and sites that keep my creativity bucket running over.

101 cookbooks- A couple years ago Heidi Swanson set out to cook naturally-- to throw out all her processed ingredients and only cook with natural, vegetarian ingredients. Here blog 101 cookbooks follows her journey and provides lots of whole foods recipes along the way.

food52- more of a website than a blog this site provides great recipes using mostly whole ingredients. Their genius recipes series is one of my favorite- recipes I use over and over again.

sprouted kitchen- similar to 101 cookbooks with a slightly different feel. The photographs are fantastic!

running with tweezers- Again similar to 101 cookbooks except she uses a lot of sea food (she's a pescatarian). Whole food blog with fantastic photographs.

Punk domestics- traditional food preservation with a modern twist. This site has recipes and techniques for canning, cheese making, charcuterie, micro-farming, you name it.

Italian dish- Everything I ever wanted to learn about italian cooking I learned it here.

3 comments:

  1. What's a Pescatarian? Thanks, I'm passing on some of these sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pescatarians do not eat meat, but allow seafood in their diets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful concept! I have been filling my buck with "The Art of French Cooking." Usually cook books are confusing and not very well organized but this one is amazing. It is a famous one, its the Julia Childs book. But it is wonderful. When I get the chance to create my own home kitchen I will organize using a lot from this book. The two volume series is the best edition. Keep it up you two! Hey I want to know what Todd's experience is in all of this. I am assuming its very positive but if he has time to post I would love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete